Friday 12 August 2011

Look for the good

Watching people steal from charity shops, mug a young man who thinks he is being helped, set fire to businesses which are already struggling to survive, etc. has left me feeling as incensed as the next person.
So, after several days of watching and listening to the news, and getting more angry and despairing by the minute, I was really grateful this morning to come across the following comment/blog, offering a more hopeful and positive perspective. I hope they have the same effect on you...

http://www.actionforhappiness.org/news/riots-show-why-the-happiness-agenda-is-vital

http://helengraves.co.uk/2011/08/why-i-love-peckham/






3 comments:

  1. Thanks for these two links CB. They help make sense of the last weeks madness. I may use these links in my blog if you don't mind? One thought I had was that in light of Police backhanders, MP expenses scandal and the banking cock up, where are the good examples for society to look up to. As a parent, you lead by example and I think the powers that be need face up to their responsibilty too. I make no excuse for the mindless violence and I see it is a complex issue. Lets hope all of us will try and resolve this together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely RR. And when you look at it in that way, it's quite honestly a mess. But there are good examples, and not just those I highlighted. For me personally, I think about that young Malaysian student and how he just felt pity for his attackers. In a time when our society is also dominated by a culture of blame and suing, his sentiments are truly moving.
    And yes, please do feel free to use these links. Spread the word! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks CB - I have used the links. Sx

    ReplyDelete