Saturday 19 February 2011

Handle with care

When I think of comfort, my thoughts always turn to home in some way – a sunny room, a comfy chair, a favourite mug in one hand, a favourite book in the other. Moments of cosy contentment that I particularly savour in the restful, familiar, secure surroundings of my humble abode. Moments that are essential after a day of funerals or an evening of hearing the sad tales of the bereaved and lonely.
However, my homely oasis of calm and cosy contentment is about to have its rug pulled out from underneath it – quite literally – as our house went on the market today. We've decided to leave our nest in the heart of town and look for somewhere with a little more space and the much-missed joy of off-road parking. The plan is to remain within the same region and budget. But anyone who has experienced the wild, unpredictable, roller-coaster ride that is buying and selling houses, knows that even the best-laid plans have a habit of taking all manner of twists and turns.
I've moved quite a few times, but this next move is, I hope, going to lead to the perfect home for my OH and I to settle in for many, many years. And it's for that very reason, I know the next few weeks/months are going to be as frustrating as they are hopeful, as infuriating as they are exciting. And so, with promises to myself of staying calm, emotionally stable, and away from the knife drawer when the estate agent pops in with his invoice, I once again enter the conveyancing fray...

6 comments:

  1. Good Luck selling your house and finding your new home sweet home Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, good luck, CB.

    I don't know how long you've been in your house, but even if it's a relatively short while, there will be many things to miss, things that will be slightly different now, and sadness at parting.

    Sound familiar?

    I hope you find something that you love soon, and that the whole transaction is as hassle-free as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All sounds very familiar XP! It is certainly a 'loss' in a broad sense. So thank you for your words and wishes. As soon as a new nest is found, you'll all be the first to know!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoops! I think my last comment disappeared into the aether. I'll be brief. Having done the same last summer, I sympathise with your apprehension and excitement. The market is nuts, of course. Good luck! I hope you'll find somewhere near perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Charles. Hope you had a nice break and feel relaxed, refreshed, and ready to face your 'in-box'...

    ReplyDelete