Sunday 28 November 2010

Dignity and Compassion

I've just come across these two fantastic charities, both supporting people at the end of life. Dignity In Dying campaigns to reduce suffering by giving people greater choice and control, while Compassion In Dying offers support, advice and information for people at the end of life. Their work is really important. If you get a moment, have a look at http://www.dignityindying.org.uk/about.html and http://www.compassionindying.org.uk/about-us.html

I discovered Dignity In Dying because they were advertising in the Employment section of The Sunday Times for Board Directors to help drive forward their campaign. I'd love to apply but they are looking for people with experience of political campaigning or palliative nursing. While I've studied aspects palliative care, I'm not really experienced in it and I certainly have no political experience! However, I will sign up to become a member and try to campaign at a more local level.

I feel quite overwhelmed at times by the amount of information and organisations out there who are dealing with dying/death/bereavement. I want to know and understand and be involved with everything, right this instant! I'm doing my best. My bed-time reading gives you an idea of the variety of information I like to immerse myself in, this past week included a conference report from The National Council for Palliative Care on spiritual needs of the dying, I finished a fantastic book called Necropolis by Catharine Arnold about the history of London and it's dead, as well as the latest Bereavement Care journal.

Luckily my other half (who has a wonderfully sunny disposition and a reading list to match) is enjoying Bill Bryson at the moment, so he regularly bursts out laughing and shares the joke with me.
Gawd bless 'im...

No comments:

Post a Comment