Monday 15 November 2010

Mascagni and Mash


I led a funeral today for a lady who was in her early 90’s. Her life story fitted on to one side of A4 paper. A small salute for someone who had lived so long, but the tributes to her love, loyalty, spirit and courage, were straight from the heart. She sounded like a plucky old gal.

I’d been asked by the family to choose one or two pieces of classical music. I chose Mascagni’s Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana to play during the moment of reflection, which is when the family are asked to sit and call to mind their own personal memories of their loved one before saying goodbye to them for the last time. It’s a really emotional part of the ceremony. I thought Intermezzo would be appropriate, even though I hadn’t heard it at a funeral before. I knew it was a stirring piece of music (I’d heard it in both The Godfather III and Raging Bull – most of my classical references come via Hollywood) but I hadn’t expected it to be quite so powerful. As the music swelled, the emotion in the chapel was palpable. I felt like I was being lifted out of my chair. I’m getting goose bumps thinking about it now. Amazing.

It's really cold tonight - second helpings of mustard mash I think...

2 comments:

  1. Mustard mash sounds good is it easy to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just add a spoonful of wholegrain mustard to your usual mash and - hey bongo - it's done! Couldn't be easier...

    ReplyDelete