Thursday 9 December 2010

First, last, everything...

I've just got home from leading a funeral ceremony, where I read out a last letter from the deceased. This was a 'first' for me. And, I have to say, it took all my powers of concentration to keep my voice steady. I did have a slight tremor by the end, but I think the family and friends gathered there were moved to see me moved, as it were.
The lovely lady in question had written the letter when she was first diagnosed with cancer, and her children found it among her things. The letter was incredibly poignant, not just because it contained the thoughts and emotions of someone who knew they were going to die, but because the feelings expressed were so uplifting and inspirational. She expressed gratitude for the years she had lived, the joy of sharing those years with her family and friends, and asked everyone to be positive, celebrate her life, and remember what a lucky girl she had been.
So many people say to me "I couldn't do your job - how depressing!" But it's not. I drove all the way home today thinking what I lucky girl I had been – to be given the honour of reading those words on behalf of a lady I wasn't privileged to meet, to a roomful of people who had lovingly accompanied her through life and to whom it meant everything.
On days like today, I've got the best job in the world.

1 comment:

  1. Bless your heart miss Comfy - I can hardly type through the tears. What a lovely post I am sooooooooooo pleased you are doing something that gives you so much and your clients will be so so pleased that you make a difficult time so much better. You are very special matey! X

    ReplyDelete