Sunday 19 December 2010

Razzle frazzle

We're having family come to us this Christmas. It will be lovely, and I'm very much looking forward to seeing everyone. But in an attempt to 'put on a show' and create a memorable day (à la Phil and Kirsty), I've gone into organisational overdrive to prevent anything going wrong (à la Laurel and Hardy). And coming from someone who is affectionately known as The Queen of Lists, that's really saying something. And the result of me whittling on about food ordering, cooking pan sizes, delayed parcels, and the potential for travel disruption, has left me feeling stressed and, as my other half will testify, a tad grumpy.
However, what's stopping me from throwing open the front door every morning, grabbing the postman and screaming "What have you done with them?!!!!", is a phrase used by many people in times of crisis, when looking to keep things in perspective – 'no-one's died'. And as I prepare for all my December funerals, including one for a 14 year old, never has that been more appropriate.
I don't want to sound all worthy, high-minded and righteous "Oh, I work with grieving people and that's soooo much more important than worrying about how many sprouts to cook". I will always worry about how many sprouts to cook. And whether we should offer cream AND custard with christmas pudding? And does anyone actually like bread sauce? But, like Ebenezer Scrooge, I am privileged to have an insight into how my Christmas might look if one of my loved-ones were missing from my immaculately set table. And suddenly, worrying about veg portions comes down the list of priorities...

1 comment:

  1. Razzle frazzle not my dear. Remember you'll razzle dazzle them what ever you cook or give or do!

    ReplyDelete