Tuesday 3 May 2011

Action for Happiness

I first became aware of Action for Happiness when they partnered the BBC in January for a week-long Happiness Challenge. I scribbled down the web address after seeing the launch on Breakfast News, then promptly rushed out of the door and head-long into another week. Now it's May and I have finally taken a look at their website
http://www.actionforhappiness.org/
Any movement that focuses on building a happier society where "people care less about what they can get for themselves and more about the happiness of others" gets my vote. The website informs and inspires – I especially like the set of happiness posters, one of which is pictured
http://www.actionforhappiness.org/happiness-posters
You may already be switched on to this – I am, as I said, a little late in getting to the party. But now I'm here, anyone care for a dance?

6 comments:

  1. What a brilliant website can I blog about "Action for Happiness" too please? Sx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please do ric-rac! Spread the word... x

    ReplyDelete
  3. How very excellent. I was tickled to see they promote 'new scientific research' to support ancient and even slightly corny-sounding verities: 'if you bring sunshine into the lives of others you cannot keep it out of your own' (Jimmy Savile). A diverting start to the day, thank you, CB! Reflection: How much happiness has been generated by the Young Foundation -- and by Michael Young? What a wonderful life's work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome Charles! Also of interest are the 'happiness/well-being classes introduced to Wellington College by Dr Anthony Seldon. I hope there are plans to make these nation-wide and available to all levels of pupils. Taking the focus away from materialism at a young age has to be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm tickled by these classes at Wellington Coll -- because there is quite a strong link between materialism and the ability to afford the fees. Maybe it's the parents who ought to be attending the classes! Perhaps these classes can be seen as a secular continuation of the slightly subversive role public schools have always played by putting Christianity at the heart of their ethos...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I agree. Slightly confusing for a Wellington student to understand that life doesn't centre around 'things' when they were dropped off by Mummy in the new Range Rover...
    The issues arising from taking away 'Christianity' from your average school, is that it hasn't been replaced with anything else that teaches morals, values and the basic lessons of 'do unto others...' etc.
    As I have said so often on my blog soap box, why does it have to be Religion versus Nothing?

    ReplyDelete