Thursday 20 January 2011

Sunshine over my shoulder

We've had some beautiful sunrises and sunsets this week. And I've almost missed each of them. Yesterday morning I went for an early run. I just reached the brow of a hill, ready to descend back to the old homestead, when I turned my head to look at the view behind me and there it was – the most incredible red sky. It had been there all the time. This afternoon, driving home after taking a funeral, the sun was just lowering on my right. Then I had to do a left turn and spend the rest of the journey knowing there was a sunset of magnificent proportions behind me.  As soon as the traffic stopped at some lights, I grabbed my phone and took this picture of my wing mirror. A bit shaky, but you see what I mean...
Sunrises and sunsets are not only natural wonders to behold, they are also loaded with meaning (and not just for weather-watching shepherds). They symbolise beginnings and endings, old and new, arrivals and departures: "How strange this fear of death is. We are never frightened by a sunset." George MacDonald
For me they are, like all nature's visual treats, a little morsel for the soul. Delicious...

2 comments:

  1. Same with sleep.

    Were you not in the death trade you would probably have thought There'll be another one along tomorrow. That snap certainly speaks of carpe diem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More like 'seize the wheel' as I kept looking out of the back instead of the front! Must learn to drive properly...

    ReplyDelete